Olveston & District Bowling Club
History of the Club
Situated at Old Down Sports Ground on the Alveston Road, a mile outside Thornbury, the Club has grown since Colonel C.E.Turner in December 1932 first suggested the idea of having a bowling green for the parish of Olveston. Landowner Captain Harry Salmon gave his permission for one to be sited at The Park at Old Down, with local firm R Pitcher & Sons, under the supervision of St. Andrew's Bowling Club of Bristol, completing the work of laying the green.
The green was officially opened on 22nd July 1933 by Mrs Turner, supported by the Club President Colonel Turner, and had a Membership of 38.
The Club now has over 100 male and female Members with two men's and two ladies' league teams along with various friendly team fixtures throughout the week.
The Club is looking to expand and hopes to attract players of all ages, including youngsters still at school. Bowls has a reputation as a game "just for the old". Nothing could be further from the truth, with many of the top awards in the game being won by players in their twenties. There are also competitions to cover all age groups, both locally and nationally.
How to join